Current Volunteer Opportunities
Board of Directors
Call for Board of Directors
The volunteer Board of Directors, with the 1Up Victoria Single Parent Resource Centre serving the Greater Victoria area is responsible for the governance of the agency, and is seeking new Board members with a strong sense of volunteerism, who are passionate about and committed to contributing to their community.
1Up Victoria Single Parent Resource Centre is a dynamic and growing registered charitable organization that has been committed to serving the varied and changing needs of single parent families in the Greater Victoria area since 1978. We provide practical support, opportunities for growth and a sense of hope to single parent families across Greater Victoria.
Our practical supports include free counselling, clothing and goods, education and classes, market day with fresh food, mentorship programs, and seasonal supports.
We are looking to expand our governance Board and seek to ensure that the board’s composition considers the balance of skills, experience, knowledge, perspectives, independence, and characteristics in alignment with the strategic needs of the organization.
Desired Attributes, Skills and Expertise
The 1UP Victoria Single Parent Resource Centre is committed to ensuring our Board is reflective of the community we serve, including diverse perspectives at our Board discussions.
• Support the vision, mission and values of the 1Up Single Parent Resource Centre
• Leverage knowledge, expertise, connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve 1Up mission, vision, and goals
• Actively promote 1UP and use Board members’ influence to positively contribute to advancing reputation and brand of the Centre.
• Have familiarity with the structure of not-for-profit organizations
• Hold the ability to engage in decision-making in the best interest of the organization
• Collaboration skills
• Previous board experience is not required but is an asset
We encourage interested individuals to apply and are particularly interested in meeting professionals with strategic and analytical skills, ability to look at the “big picture” and expertise in one of the following areas:
• Government Relations
• Legal expertise
• Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, and Media Relations
• Fundraising and Resource Development
As a director, time commitments include attending monthly Board meetings, as well as Committee involvement. The initial term of office is two years.
Interested applicants may send resume and cover letter outlining their interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mentors - Moms & Mentors Program
The ‘Moms and Mentors Program’ at 1Up Victoria Single Parent Resource Centre needs volunteer female mentors with parenting experience to offer support and guidance to isolated single mothers of all ages. Volunteers spend about two hours per week for one year with their mentee, discussing, parenting issues, working on the single mom’s personal goals, going for coffee or walks, and enjoying fun activities together.
For more information, please contact Sanni: Sanni@singleparentvictoria.ca 250-385-1114 ext. 5